Thursday, November 1, 2012

No Sew Fleece Blanket


Think you need to own a sewing machine to make a blanket? Not true! Here is a great option for those who want a new-sew project.

These blankets are everywhere. You can't even walk through a local craft show without seeing at least 5 vendors with tie-only fleece blankets. So please note that I, in no way, am claiming that this is an original idea. I just think that fleece is sooooooo cozy!

When I was in college I made my first no sew fleece blanket to use over my comforter. It was brown with pink flowers and super, super warm and snugly. I wonder what ever happened to it. It must have been one of those things that gets lost when you move. (Like my serrated knife... where is that thing?)

When I was at Joann's I noticed that their fleece was 60% off. There were the cutest patterns. They'd be perfect for a blanket for our friend's new baby. I decided to make her a new sew blanket because babys LOVE the ends of them since they can hold the strings and knots and feel different texture. Sort of the same idea as a "taggy" blanket.

I picked two coordinating fabrics. (Baby polar bears and penguins wearing winter gear, I heart you.) You could absolutely use just one fabric for both sides also.    
                              

I bought 1 yard of each, however I ended up cutting off about 6 inches to make more of a square. So you'd be fine getting 3/4 of a yard if this is for a baby.


After washing and drying the fleece, lay them out on the floor and cut them to the size you want.

Next cut a 5x5" square out each corner.

                                
                                   
Cut strips about 1 inch apart using those 5x5 squares as guides. You can measure if you want, but I just eye-balled it. (You can see I used my pinking shears. You can use regular kitchen scissors too.)


                               
After you cut the strips on one side, go through and start knotting them. You can tie them in a "shoe-lace" knot if you want a messier look. I tied them neater by holding both pieces together and knotting them.



                                                   


I like to tie each of the ends first, then every 5th knot or so, then the remaining. This helps keep the fabric in line.

After your first side is done, move on to the next one. It doesn't take long at all!

So plop yourself down in front of your favorite TV show and before you know it, you will have an adorable, cozy blanket.

My girls had a hard time parting with this one.

 
                                               
I think I need to go get more fleece.

Have a great day!
        <3

                                       

2 comments:

Ellen said...

This is my kind of project. So cute!!

I've nominated you for a Liebster Award (I apologize if you've already been nominated before) over at my blog! http://thenotsosimplelifeinnova.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-blog.html

Anonymous said...

I made these blankets WITH my kids and we donate them to Project Linus for kids in need. They are 6 and 9 and really get the hang out of doing the knots now. To save money I usually get one print fleece and then a coordinating solid for the back. Usually at my joanns the solids are a lot cheaper and since I am in school full time I really need to stay on a budget. But i love this idea and how the kids can give back to other kids in need. We also made one for my grandmother when she was in the hospital and when she passed away my aunt gave it back to my boys. Even though they are both tough guys they love to snuggle under Mommom's pink teapot print feelce balanket they made her :-)
keep up the great work!!

About Me

My Photo
CoffeeandCream
Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I'm a 28-year-old mommy who loves to bake,cook, decorate,sew,and DIY everything I can get my hands on. Grab yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy my adventures!
View my complete profile

Grab My Button!

Coffee, Caramel and Cream

I've Been Featured!

sunshineaward
Powered by Blogger.

Followers